Requires an accelerated learning committee to develop an IEP for every student who does not pass pass the STAAR test in grade 3, 5, or 8 in math or reading. Also, requires the assignment of a certified master, exemplary, or recognized teacher or participation in tutoring for any student who does not pass the STAAR test in grades 3–8 or STAAR (EOC) end-of-course assessments. Requirements are to begin in fall 2021 based on spring 2021 test results.
- Deliver targeted Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS)-aligned instruction for the applicable grade level and subject areas.
- Be provided in addition to instruction normally provided to students in the grade level in which the student is enrolled.
- Be designed to assist the student in achieving satisfactory performance in the applicable grade level and subject area
- Not be scheduled such that a student is removed from any of the following:
- Instruction in grade-level content for the foundation curriculum
- Instruction in enrichment curriculum for the grade level in which the student is enrolled
- Recess or physical activity that is available to other students enrolled in the same grade level.
- Be provided for no less than 30 hours total during the summer or subsequent school year. If provided during the subsequent school year, it should include instruction no less than once per week.
- If a student does not pass both math and reading STAAR tests, they will need to meet the 30 hour requirement for each of the two subject areas.
- Utilize effective instructional materials designed for supplemental instruction.
- Be delivered in a 1-on-1 or small group environment, with no more than 3 students in a small group.
- Be provided by an individual with training in aligned instructional materials and under the LEA’s oversight. Ideally, the same individual provides tutoring continuously for the student’s entire supplemental instruction period.
- This requirement will set up a significant need to rethink master schedules, develop high-impact tutoring programs, and set up data systems for tracking student process.